Thursday, July 21, 2011

Choices...choices...choices...

...life is FULL of them!

Do I have hamburgers or chicken for dinner?  Would grey or white tile look better in the bathroom?  The Green Lantern or Captain America?  In life, we're constantly faced with choices.

Hey!  I didn't say they'd be EASY!


Well...I've stumbled on a new outlook on the word 'choices'...and by "stumbled", I mean "fell and hit like a ton of bricks".  You know those life lessons...the kind where you feel like you are at the end of that proverbial rope and you can't seem to grab a hold of any type of sanity and your whole world feels as though it is falling apart and every time something bad or big happens is such a burden and you become overwhelmed at even the tiniest of duties?

Or is it just me?

Well...I was talking to a friend about how I have these moments of power...strength...confidence.  So powerful are these feelings that I would SWEAR that I could lift buildings...I could get or do anything I wanted.  Soon after I feel these feelings something happens and I crash and burn.  This has caused me a great deal of frustration to say the least.  Why can't I keep these feelings?  Why can I feel on top of the world one moment only to fall to the bottom of the pit the next?  

A little help, please!

As I was pondering one day, it dawned on me...I can make the CHOICE to keep that feeling with me.  Why not try it?  I know it sounds like crazy talk, I mean, we can't control our circumstances...but we can control how we react to them.  This has been something I've heard for YEARS, but it just dawned on me how to apply it.  I really, honestly thought that it was the Fountain of Youth...something a person could search for, yet could never find because it never existed.  What?  You mean to tell me that you can be happy in ANY circumstance?  Huh?  You can CHOOSE not to get mad over things?

I'd burn myself at the stake for heresy for such beliefs...

BUT...it can happen.  Since I've tried this 'new technique' I haven't felt out of control.  I haven't felt that I need someone to help me take care of things because I have power.  I haven't felt overwhelmed because I have the strength to face things.  I have empowered myself and given myself permission to be happy...release bitterness...embrace happiness...because of my CHOICE not to let things control me, but to control my reactions.

Now...that Green Lantern and Captain America debate is a little tougher...

No comments: