Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I'm not a "Health Nut"...

...I'm a "Fitness Snob".

Let's just get that straight right now.

Health nuts are people who incorporate healthy living in order to live happy lives.
Fitness snobs incorporate healthy living in order to look good.

Don't get me wrong...I'm happy being healthy, that's not my point.  My point is, that I like to look good.  I like walking into the gym with my tank top on and watch the reactions of people.  Sometimes they cast their eyes downward so as not to make eye contact.  Sometimes the really brave ones say 'hi'.  Sometimes they just watch me walk across the room, or watch me lift some weights like I'm the freak show I believe myself to be.

...and I really like it.

That's not totally what makes me a fitness snob.  What makes me a fitness snob, is the fact that I look at other people.  Generally not with judgement in mind (GENERALLY...), but I look at people and think..."Hmmmm...their butt is a little flabby and their arms flap.  Nothing that some squats, tricep pressdowns, and 40 minutes of cardio daily for a month couldn't help with.".  THIS is the mindset of a fitness snob.

Fitness snobs also have certain phrases and statements that...DRIVE. THEM. CRAZY.
For instance, when someone says...
  1. "Muscle weighs more than fat."...UGH! A pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat!  Muscle is more DENSE than fat...a pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat, but they weigh the same.
  2. "I ate 1000 calories a day for 2 weeks and haven't lost a pound!  I don't know what I'm doing wrong."...DOUBLE UGH!  You're not eating enough!  You're body thinks it's starving.  The way your body burns fat is like a fire in a fireplace.  If you don't put logs on the fire the fire will burn out.  If you're not eating enough calories, you're body will think it's starving and hold onto your fat as food storage.  You've got to eat to lose weight.
  3. "I found some stuff on the internet that if I take once a day it will help me lose weight and I don't have to exercise or watch what I eat!"...ARGH!  It doesn't WORK like that!  The only way to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit...take in (slightly) less then you're putting out.  Hard work and eating healthy is the OONNNLLYYYY way to go.
  4. Women say..."I don't want to lift weights because it'll make me bulk up and look like a man."...*rolling eyes*...Unless you are taking ANABOLIC STEROIDS, you will not bulk up.  You will be building muscle which uses more calories...so you will be burning more calories at rest...so you will burn fat faster...so you will lose weight FASTER...which is what you want!  ALSO, not to mention that lifting weights will lower your risk for osteoporosis because it makes your bones more dense.  Are you sold yet?
...to name ONLY a few.

So, I'm off to the gym.  I have my tank top on...shorts...hair down and sassy...ready to walk through the doors and wait for the stares that come after years of hard work.

THIS is the payoff for the fitness snob.

2 comments:

Shelli said...

I am now too self-conscious to hang out with you because I have too much flab.

:D

Esther said...

Nope...only potential. :)