Monday, May 30, 2011

Lone Eve in the Garden of Weedin'...

...I know, catchy title.  There is a story behind it though.  You see...
I planted 4 tomato plants; therefore, I farm.

Yeah...for some reason, I've caught the "I-want-to-plant-things" bug and thought it would be a good idea to get the backyard all nice and fixed up while trying to plant a small garden in the back 40.  I don't really intend on HARVESTING anything from my small tomato factories, I just wanted to say, "Hey! I tried!".

And I am trying!...ask anyone.

So, this last weekend I've hoed and weeded and tilled and weeded some more.  My hands are a little blistered and underneath my nails have dirt captured (and scrub as I might...won't let go of the tiny carbon-based particles).  But it's 'whatever'...right?  Because the more blisters and more dirt under my nails I accumulate, the more die-hard and hardcore I am...right?  'Cause it's all about hard work, blood, sweat, and tears...right?  That's what my father always taught me.  Today, I thought for SURE I grabbed a hold of some poison ivy.  "Leaves of 3...let them be". The minute I let go of the vine I kinda looked at my hands for a moment or two, rubbed some dirt in it, and kept weeding. 

 Daddy would be proud.

The main purpose of weeding wasn't to farm 4 tomato plants...oh no.  My whole intent was to purge the area behind my garage of weeds in order for me to have a nice 'secret garden'-type of spot where I can go and just sit.  I'm going to sanctify the garden with reverent flowers and a holy water fountain and...as the final touch...a statue of St. Francis of Assisi. 

Because that's where all the dead animals are buried.

I've been thinking about this for a while.  Because I'm single, I feel like I have more of a duty to myself and my self-respect to work hard to make my home a nice place to be.  I hate to say this, and many may GASP, but I'm not buying that "man-was-not-made-to-be-alone" bit.  MAN maybe couldn't live alone.  I've seen many men divorce/widow then get remarried only a year or two after the break-up/death.  I've been doing this for 7 stinkin' years and the bills have gotten paid, floods have gotten cleaned up after a hard rain, the driveway gets shoveled time after time during the winter, kids have been fed, homework has been completed...I could go on...and the work gets done, but it won't be because Mr. Right did it.  I think Mr. Right is waiting for all the work to be done and THEN he'll show up!

Typical.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ain't no reason for him to show up before the party is ready to start. Once the work is done, he'll be there.

ps. It's just wrong, but true on so many levels.