Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ode to my 30's

Today is my last day of being in my "30's".  I will no longer be "pushing 40", for I will BE 40.  This blog is dedicated to those wonderous years of pain and victory.  I fought against self-doubt and low confidence.  Thank you, 30's!  To you I dedicate this poem.  

Ode To My 30's

Oh, thou wretched decade!
Why hast thou despised this maiden?
Gripped with the futility of grief;
wrapped in the arms of despair I struggled.
Flailing with thine adversarial torment.
Wrangling with doubt;
Slaying the demons which crippled my soul.

But, ALAS!
Liberation has indeed prevailed!
Victory has sounded throughout the land!
This fair vanquisher of evil subdued doubt;
for it cowers before her.
Fear is cast aside;
Out of the ashes rises strength;
for can one harm a sword of steel? Nay.

For this I thank you, decade Trigenta;
autonomy is mine forever.
None shall take away my freedom;
nor shall they take away my happiness
of which I took so long to build.
In my beautiful shelter of which I reign supreme.
Oh, thou most glorious decade!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Can I get an "Amen?"

Shelli said...

I know I shouldn't be surprised by you... but I'm totally impressed with this amazing poem.

Happy Birthday? (Why don't I know if it's your birthday?) Welcome to your 40s!

Unknown said...

In the immortal words of Helen Reddy,

You can bend but never break me
'Cause it only serves to make me
More determined to achieve my final goal
And I come back even stronger
Not a novice any longer
'Cause you've deepened the conviction in my soul

Oh, yes, I am wise
But it's wisdom born of pain
Yes, I've paid the price
But look how much I gained
If I have to
I can face anything
I am strong (strong)
I am invincible (invincible)
I am woman

Rick said...

Esther,
"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." ~Mark Twain

RC