Monday, June 20, 2011

Capabilities...

...are over rated.

Do we really want to know what we're capable of?  This is what happens when we push ourselves to that limit and succeed...we have to work harder to be better.

Key words: work harder.

I found this out on my morning runs.  When I first began, I couldn't get all around the park without stopping.  After a run or two...I finally got all around the park and farther without stopping.  This could only mean one thing...

...I had to run longer to get better

You'd think I'd be OK with this since I'm all about self-improvement and working yourself into being a better whatever you are.  I guess I was hoping that once I reached a goal, then everything else would just fall into place.

Boy, was I wrong!

Once you break through something difficult and move on to the 'other side', the work becomes harder and you have to be more diligent and want it more than you did before.  You also see that you did that tough thing...you must be able to do tougher things then...and you push the limits more.  Perhaps this drive makes up for the extra work you have to do.  I don't know...I haven't really looked into that, but it makes sense. 

Is there some sort of physics lesson here?...work makes more work.

Anyhow, once you think you're done, you're not.  Stop that thought in its track and remember that its never done.  I'm trying to look at it in a positive light, but I have a Nyquil (registered trademark) hangover from last night and it's not working well for me. Besides the fact that I've realized recently that I'm really, REALLY capable in so many ways.

Dammit.

No comments: