Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Death and Taxes...

...you can't run from either.

This is coming from a pro on both subjects.

I just got back from talking to the tax people about paying my property taxes.  She printed my papers and calculated how much I would owe over the course of the next few years. 

Her ink was red...how ironic.

My favorite line of the conversation was, "So...does that look like a figure you can come up with?"

Yeah...if I choose the right CORNER!

It amazes me how calm I am.  I really didn't get angry...I haven't cried (yet)...and I (probably) won't take it out on my kids.  It just dawned on me that I haven't blamed my dead husband yet!  That really seems blasphemous, but it's the first on my list when anything bad/hard/hateful happens in my life...I blame the dead husband.  It makes me mad that he got out of taxes by way of dying.  Really?  Come ON!  That's taking the EASY way out! 

But I'm not bitter.

So...I can say honestly that I've faced both death and taxes HEAD ON.  I can honestly say that I do not like either one of them, but they can be worked with and worked around and worked through...and when July 20th comes around and I hand over that large sum of money that the taxman requires that I pay, I will smile and thank the woman for her help.

Then go take a shot of Nyquil.

No comments: