Sunday, June 26, 2011

Progress...

...is a dish best served cold.

Wait...I think that's 'revenge'. 

Progress feels 'cold' sometimes, though...and revenge can LEAD to progress as a motivator. 

I KNEW there was a connection.

Progress and I have a love/hate relationship.  I LOVE to see progress and progress LOVES to push me beyond my limits...which I HATE.  Although I've been told I love a challenge...there is that part of me that faces it with dread.  It might be because I'm not in my 'comfort zone' and anything else feels 'icky'.  I will, however, admit that when a challenge sets in I do dig my heels in and really work hard to make it happen.

...and usually it does.

So why don't I have more confidence that I can overcome a challenge?  I don't know...except that I fight against myself for some reason.  Maybe I'm afraid to succeed...or afraid that I'll finally find a point where I won't/can't make it happen and I will fail.  Not sure...jury is still out on that one.  Let's just say that I do know that I fight myself and leave it at that.

...and the winner is...

The answer is a little tricky because to say that I win either way is false.  I don't win when I decide not to try, yet the part of me that says she doesn't want to try does a little happy dance when I cave.  Let's sum things up...I won when I decided to work on losing weight.  I won when I decided to take those stupid entrance exams at the local community college.  I won when I got my associate's degree (in the mail, mind you, but I still earned it!).  I won when I, single-handedly, applied and got accepted into the University of Dayton (one of the top 10 Catholic university in the nation), I won when I completed my first year at said 4 year university.  All of this while keeping weight off and raising 5 kids.

Winning.

So, when I say that progress is a dish best served cold, I guess it means that progress takes time and if you think you are going to eat a bowl of piping hot progress...think again.  Once in a while you are able to take a bite of it warm and savor the taste...and it makes you want more.  But you'll find that, like some foods, progress is better cold.

Like ice cream.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Progress should come with fries on the side. Or in a pretty sundae cup with whipped cream and a cherry on top. Thanks, now I'm hungry!

You can fight and cry and moan all you want, but in the end, you've given Progress a punch in the face every time.

Good on ya', Wilson.