Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Science/Art of Sacrifice...

...in a paragraph of 365 words or more.

I know, this should be interesting.

So I was jogging in the park one day and it dawned on me...I was doing something I hated (running) for the greater good (fat loss).

And I wasn't sure it was worth it.

My mind was drawn to sacrifice and how the art/science of it was lost in people these days.  Society teaches the quick fix...the easy way out/in...the "what-have-you-done-for-me-lately" mentality (Thank you, Janet Jackson, for putting into song).  If we're not going to get something tangible out of something...and get it quick...we're not going to do it nor SHOULD we do it because things should come a little easier.

That's what SHE said.

So, as I was running and thinking about how I HATED to run and how runners always have that look of pain on their faces as they pound the pavement, I was also thinking that with sacrificing you have to give up something that is important and valuable (for me, it was NOT to run)...and the benefits will outweigh what you put into it (lean physique in order to turn down Playboy).  That's the science of it.  Easy enough, right?

The art of it is a little more difficult.

In my humble opinion, the ART of sacrifice is the application.  The art of sacrifice is molding and sculpting what you want to sacrifice into everyday life in order to get the desired results.  It's the trial and error of it all.  It's the guts and glory of determination and discipline...knowing what works and if it doesn't, scrap it and try something new.  It's the giving up ___(fill-in-the-blank)___ until it hurts and then some.  It's the NOT giving up and giving into those inner voices that tell you to stop because you can't do it.  It's the training to listen to that inner voice and the confidence to apply what you feel and think you should do even when others around you are scratching their heads wondering what the hell you are doing or why you are doing it.

Most of the time I am the one that gets in the way of myself...

Using your inner intuition and mastering sacrifice is when you really see results. Allowing yourself to mess up once in a while and changing your mindset is part of the process. It is a process...and it takes time...but it is worth it, whatever it is.  From losing weight or going to school or finishing that project that you've been working on for the longest time...nothing worth while ever came easily.

...and so I run...

No comments: